Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 94,911. Estimated population in July 2005: 92,631 (-2.4% change)
Males: 44,501 (46.9%), Females: 50,410 (53.1%)
Median resident age: 37.6 years
Median household income: $30,719 (year 2000)
Median house value: $80,300 (year 2000)
Roanoke, VA residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Roanoke:
- White Non-Hispanic (68.8%)
- Black (26.7%)
- Two or more races (1.8%)
- Hispanic (1.5%)
- Other race (0.7%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
- Vietnamese (0.5%)
Ancestries: United States (12.5%), German (9.5%), English (9.1%), Irish (7.9%), Scotch-Irish (2.7%), Italian (1.8%).Virginia
Elevation: 940 feet
Land area: 42.9 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Roanoke
- High school or higher: 76.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 18.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.6%
- Unemployed: 5.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 19.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Roanoke city
- Never married: 27.4%
- Now married: 46.0%
- Separated: 3.5%
- Widowed: 8.9%
- Divorced: 14.3%
3.1% Foreign born (1.1% Asia, 1.0% Europe, 0.8% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: -1,865 (-1.9%).
of McLean Apt's - to Tysons, I-495 & I-66 Walk to shops & restaurants />
Cty Real Estate - all Loudoun homes; receive automatic updates of new listings />
VA Apartments - homes in Blacksburg, VA near Virginia Tech campus />
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NC Greensboro, (83.3 miles pop. 223,891).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (380.4 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: VA (4.2 miles Vinton, VA (4.3 miles Hollins, Spring, VA (4.6 miles Cave VA (6.8 miles Cloverdale, VA (6.9 miles Salem, VA (9.3 miles Laymantown, VA (10.0 miles Daleville, VA (11.0 miles Troutville,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 52 buildings, average cost: $57,500
- 1997: 66 buildings, average cost: $55,200
- 1998: 70 buildings, average cost: $55,700
- 1999: 184 buildings, average cost: $73,400
- 2000: 168 buildings, average cost: $71,400
- 2001: 238 buildings, average cost: $85,800
- 2002: 273 buildings, average cost: $71,900
- 2003: 219 buildings, average cost: $86,300
- 2004: 198 buildings, average cost: $81,600
- 2005: 151 buildings, average cost: $91,900
Latitude: 37.28 N, Longitude: 79.96 W
Area code: 540
Roanoke, Virginia business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (19.7%), Retail trade (16.1%), Manufacturing (13.1%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +25,853 (+27.2%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 27,069 (62.0%)
Crime in Roanoke by Year
|Type ||1999 ||2001 ||2004 |
|Murders ||7 ||5 ||8 |
| per 100,000 ||7.4 ||5.3 ||8.4 |
|Rapes ||48 ||41 ||60 |
| per 100,000 ||50.6 ||43.2 ||63.2 |
|Robberies ||224 ||135 ||187 |
| per 100,000 ||236.0 ||142.2 ||197.0 |
|Assaults ||373 ||404 ||596 |
| per 100,000 ||393.0 ||425.7 ||628.0 |
|Burglaries ||688 ||689 ||993 |
| per 100,000 ||724.9 ||725.9 ||1046.2 |
|Thefts ||3,065 ||3,856 ||4,470 |
| per 100,000 ||3229.3 ||4062.8 ||4709.7 |
|Auto thefts ||304 ||338 ||492 |
| per 100,000 ||320.3 ||356.1 ||518.4 |
| ||382.5 ||392.2 ||521.5 |
Average climate in Roanoke, Virginia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Roanoke-area historical tornado activity is below Virginia state average. It is 63% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/4/1974, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 3.9 miles away from the Roanoke city center caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/17/1953, a category 2 tornado 6.1 miles away from the city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Louis A. Johnson, Eric Weinrich - NHL player (St. Louis Blues, born: Dec 19, 1966), George Lynch - NBA player (New Orleans Hornets, born: Sep 3, 1970), John St. Clair - 2005 NFL player (Miami Dolphins, born: Jul 31, 1977), Lee Suggs - 2005 NFL player (Cleveland Browns, born: Aug 11, 1980), Vaughn Taylor - PGA Tour Golf player (born: 3/9/76), Adam Trumbower - College basketball player (William & Mary Tribe), J.J. Redick - College basketball player (Duke Blue Devils), J.R. Reynolds - College basketball player (Virginia Cavaliers), Paulius Morkeliunas - College basketball player (LIU Brooklyn Blackbirds).
Main business address for: OPTICAL CABLE CORP (DRAWING AND INSULATING NONFERROUS WIRE), ADVANCE AUTO PARTS INC (RETAIL-AUTO & HOME SUPPLY STORES), WESTERN SIZZLIN CORP (RETAIL-EATING PLACES), APPALACHIAN POWER CO (ELECTRIC SERVICES), ROANOKE ELECTRIC STEEL CORP (STEEL WORKS, BLAST FURNACES ROLLING MILLS (COKE OVENS)), VALLEY FINANCIAL CORP /VA/ (SAVINGS INSTITUTION, FEDERALLY CHARTERED), RGC RESOURCES INC (NATURAL GAS TRANSMISSION & DISTRIBUTION).
Hospital/medical center in Roanoke:
- CARILION MEDICAL CENTER (BELLEVIEW & JEFFERSON STS PO BOX 13367)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Roanoke:
- COLUMBIA LEWIS-GALE MEDICAL CENTER (about 9 miles; SALEM, VA)
- CATAWBA HOSPITAL (about 18 miles; CATAWBA, VA)
- CARILION FRANKLIN MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 22 miles; ROCKY MOUNT, VA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Roanoke:
- ROANOKE REGIONAL/WOODRUM FIELD (about 3 miles; ROANOKE, VA; ID: ROA)
- GREENBRIER VALLEY (about 50 miles; LEWISBURG, WV; ID: LWB)
- LYNCHBURG REGIONAL/PRESTON GLENN FLD (about 53 miles; LYNCHBURG, VA; ID: LYH)
Other public-use airports nearest to Roanoke:
- SMITH MOUNTAIN LAKE (about 29 miles; MONETA, VA; ID: W91)
- VIRGINIA TECH (about 32 miles; BLACKSBURG, VA; ID: BCB)
- NEW LONDON (about 44 miles; FOREST, VA; ID: W90)
Local government website:
Local government employment and payroll (March 2004)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Housing and Community Development(Local) ||96 ||$298,693 ||$37,336 ||2 ||$5,128 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Instruction ||1574 ||$5,672,043 ||$43,243 ||627 ||$687,137 |
|Elementary and Secondary - Other Total ||618 ||$1,204,187 ||$23,382 ||220 ||$89,733 |Colleges/Universities in Roanoke:
- VIRGINIA WESTERN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (Full-time enrollment: 3,535; Location: 3095 COLONIAL AVE; Public; Website: www.vw.cc.va.us)
- HOLLINS UNIVERSITY (FT enrollment: 911; Location: 7916 WILLIAMSON RD NW; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.hollins.edu; Offers Master's degree)
- COMMUNITY HOSP OF ROANOKE VALLEY COLL OF HLTH SCI (FT enrollment: 432; Location: 920 S JEFFERSON ST; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.chs.edu)
- ECPI TECHNICAL COLLEGE (FT enrollment: 299; Location: 5234 AIRPORT RD; Private, for-profit; Website: www.ecpi.edu)
- DOMINION COLLEGE (FT enrollment: 221; Location: 5372 FALLOWATER LN STE B; Private, for-profit; Website: www.dominioncollege.org)
- VIRGINIA CAREERS ACADEMY (FT enrollment: 92; Location: 3312 WILLIAMSON RD NW; Private, for-profit; Website: email@example.com)
- ATI HOLLYWOOD (FT enrollment: 57; Location: 3535 D FRANKLIN RD SW; Private, for-profit; Website: ATIHOLLYWOOD.COM)
- CARILION ROANOKE MEMORIAL HOSP SCH OF PRACT NURS (FT enrollment: 35; Location: PO BOX 13367; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.carilion.com)
- CARILION MEDICAL CENTER SCHOOL OF CLINICAL LAB SCI (FT enrollment: 5; Location: BELLEVIEW AND JEFFERSON ST; Private, not-for-profit; Website: www.carilion.com)
Other colleges/universities with over 2000 students near Roanoke:
- NATIONAL BUSINESS COLLEGE (about 9 miles; SALEM, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,382)
- VIRGINIA POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE AND STATE UNIV (about 29 miles; BLACKSBURG, VA; FT enrollment: 25,754)
- RADFORD UNIVERSITY (about 43 miles; RADFORD, VA; FT enrollment: 8,034)
- WASHINGTON AND LEE UNIVERSITY (about 49 miles; LEXINGTON, VA; FT enrollment: 2,063)
- NEW RIVER COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 52 miles; DUBLIN, VA; FT enrollment: 2,262)
- LIBERTY UNIVERSITY (about 52 miles; LYNCHBURG, VA; FT enrollment: 5,348)
- CONCORD COLLEGE (about 74 miles; ATHENS, WV; FT enrollment: 2,723)
Public high schools in Roanoke:
- PATRICK HENRY HIGH (Students: 1,821; Location: 2102 GRANDIN RD SW; Grades: 09 - 12)
- WILLIAM FLEMING HIGH (Students: 1,393; Location: 3649 FERNCLIFF AVE NW; Grades: 09 - 12)
- HIDDEN VALLEY HIGH (Students: 1,040; Location: 5000 TITAN TRAIL; Grades: 09 - 12)
- NORTHSIDE HIGH (Students: 1,031; Location: 6758 NORTHSIDE HIGH SCH RD; Grades: 09 - 12)
- CAVE SPRING HIGH (Students: 800; Location: 3712 CHAPARRAL DR SW; Grades: 09 - 12)
- BLUE RIDGE TECHNICAL ACADEMY (Students: 87; Location: 108 N JEFFERSON ST; Grades: 08 - 12)
- ROANOKE VALLEY GOV SCH (Location: 2104 GRANDIN RD SW; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high schools in Roanoke:
- ROANOKE CATHOLIC SCHOOL (Students: 577; Location: 621 N JEFFERSON STREET; Grades: PK - 12)
- NORTH CROSS SCHOOL (Students: 571; Location: 4254 COLONIAL AVENUE SW; Grades: PK - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Roanoke:
- HIDDEN VALLEY MIDDLE (Students: 848; Location: 4902 HIDDEN VAL SCH RD SW; Grades: 06 - 08)
- NORTHSIDE MIDDLE (Students: 758; Location: 6810 NORTHSIDE HIGH SCHOOL RD; Grades: 06 - 08)
- WILLIAM RUFFNER MIDDLE (Students: 627; Location: 3601 FERNCLIFF AVE NW; Grades: 06 - 08)
- CAVE SPRING MIDDLE (Students: 618; Location: 4880 BRAMBLETON AVE; Grades: 06 - 08)
- WESTSIDE ELEM. (Students: 599; Location: 1441 WESTSIDE BLVD NW; Grades: PK - 05)
- CAVE SPRING ELEM. (Students: 577; Location: 5404 SPRINGLAWN AVE SW; Grades: KG - 05)
- FALLON PARK ELEM. (Students: 553; Location: 502 19TH ST SE; Grades: PK - 05)
- WOODROW WILSON MIDDLE (Students: 551; Location: 1813 CARTER RD SW; Grades: 06 - 08)
- JAMES MADISON MIDDLE (Students: 542; Location: 1160 OVERLAND RD SW; Grades: 06 - 08)
- PENN FOREST ELEM. (Students: 525; Location: 6328 MERRIMAN RD; Grades: KG - 05)
Private primary/middle schools in Roanoke:
- COMMUNITY SCHOOL (Students: 127; Location: 7815 WILLIAMSON RD; Grades: UG - UG)
- GRACE ACADEMY (Students: 118; Location: 2731 EDGEWOOD STREET SW; Grades: PK - 5)
- THE ACHIEVEMENT CENTER (Students: 87; Location: 615 NORTH JEFFERSON STREET; Grades: UG - UG)
- FIRST WESLEYAN CHRISTIAN SCH (Students: 44; Location: 3706 PETERS CREEK RD NW; Grades: KG - 5)
- NEW LIFE CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 41; Location: 5745 AIRPORT RD; Grades: PK - 5)
- ROANOKE MONTESSORI SCHOOL (Students: 35; Location: 3379 COLONIAL AVENUE; Grades: PK - 4)
- ROANOKE ADVENTIST PREPARATORY (Students: 30; Location: 1716 OXFORD AVE; Grades: KG - 8)
- BLUE RIDGE MONTESSORI SCHL ROA (Students: 22; Location: 4249 APPLETON AVENUE NW; Grades: PK - KG)
- MONTESSORI CHILDREN'S HOUSE OF (Students: 20; Location: 4523 BRAMBLETON AVENUE SW; Grades: PK - KG)
Libraries in Roanoke:
- ROANOKE CITY PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $3,342,486; Location: 706 S. JEFFERSON ST.; 326,546 books; 13,165 audio materials; 7,766 video materials; 373 serial subscriptions)
- ROANOKE COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $2,262,219; Location: 3131 ELECTRIC ROAD S.W.; 372,866 books; 8,069 audio materials; 9,711 video materials; 963 serial subscriptions)
- BOTETOURT COUNTY LIBRARY (Operating income: $557,078; Location: 28 AVERY ROW; 88,680 books; 3,872 audio materials; 5,116 video materials; 298 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Roanoke: Ole Monterey Golf Club (A), Statesman Industrial Park (B), Countryside Golf Club (C), Blue Hills Golf Club (D), Orange Avenue Industrial Park (E), Saint Vincents Orphanage (F), Roanoke Industrial Center (G), Roanoke Country Club (H), Raleigh Court Branch Roanoke City Public Library (I), Jackson Park Branch Roanoke City Public Library (J), Southeast Community Center (K), Belmont (L), Grandin Court Community Center (M), Buena Vista (N), Melrose Branch Roanoke City Public Library (O), Cherry Hill (P), Williamson Road Branch Roanoke City Public Library (Q), Gainsboro Branch Roanoke City Public Library (R), Mary Louisa Home For The Aged (S), Roanoke Municipal Building (T).
Shopping Centers: Valley View Mall Shopping Center (1), Parkside Plaza Shopping Center (2), Bennington Place Shopping Center (3), Southwest Plaza Shopping Center (4), Townside Festival Shopping Center (5), Towne Square Shopping Center (6), Towers Shopping Center (7).
Churches in Roanoke include: Church of God (A), Church of God Tabernacle (B), Church of God in Christ (C), Church of the Living God (D), Airlee Court Baptist Church (E), Pleasant Grove Church (F), Garden City Baptist Church (G), Garden City Church of the Nazarene (H).
Cemeteries: Beth Israel Cemetery (1), Loury Cemetery (2), Jonathan Tosh Cemetery (3), Peters Creek Cemetery (4), Blue Ridge Memorial Gardens (5), Old Lick Cemetery (6), City Cemetery (7).
Reservoirs: Medmont Lake (A), Spring Valley Lake (B), Windsor Lake (C), Crestmoor Lake (D).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Gum Spring Branch (A), Garnand Branch (B), Ore Branch (C), Carvin Creek (D), Peters Creek (E), Murray Run (F), Mud Lick Creek (G), Lick Run (H).
Parks in Roanoke include: Thresher Park (1), Fishburn Park (2), Norwich Park (3), Washington Park (4), Wasena Park (5), Roanoke Warehouse Historic District (6), Villa Heights Recreation Center (7), Roanoke Sports Complex (8), Elmwood Park (9).
Post offices: Melrose Station Roanoke Post Office (A), Roanoke Post Office (B).
Roanoke compared to Virginia state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Roanoke:
- WFIR (960 AM; 5 kW; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: MEL WHEELER, INC.)
- WKBA (1550 AM; daytime; 10 kW; VINTON, VA; Owner: TINKER CREEK BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WGMN (1240 AM; 1 kW; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRIS (1410 AM; 5 kW; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: WRIS INC.)
- WVBE (610 AM; 5 kW; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: MEL WHEELER, INC.)
- WWWR (910 AM; 1 kW; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: PERCEPTION MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WTOY (1480 AM; 5 kW; SALEM, VA; Owner: WARD BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WFNR (710 AM; daytime; 10 kW; BLACKSBURG, VA; Owner: PERCEPTION MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WTRU (830 AM; 50 kW; KERNERSVILLE, NC; Owner: TRUTH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKNV (890 AM; daytime; 10 kW; FAIRLAWN, VA; Owner: POSITIVE RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WLLL (930 AM; 10 kW; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: HUBBARD'S ADVERTISING AGENCY, INC.)
- WPTF (680 AM; 50 kW; RALEIGH, NC; Owner: FIRST STATE COMMUNICATIONS)
- WFTK (1030 AM; daytime; 50 kW; WAKE FOREST, NC; Owner: POSITIVE RADIO GROUP, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Roanoke:
- WJJS-FM (106.1 FM; VINTON, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMGR-FM (104.9 FM; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WROV-FM (96.3 FM; MARTINSVILLE, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WYYD-FM1 (107.9 FM; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: WYYD LICENSE LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WPAR (91.3 FM; SALEM, VA; Owner: POSITIVE ALTERNATIVE RADIO, INC.)
- WXLK (92.3 FM; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: MEL WHEELER, INC.)
- WVTF (89.1 FM; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: VIRGINIA TECH FOUNDATION INC)
- WSLC-FM (94.9 FM; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: MEL WHEELER, INC.)
- WSLQ (99.1 FM; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: MEL WHEELER, INC.)
- WZZI (101.5 FM; VINTON, VA; Owner: TRAVIS MEDIA, L.L.C.)
- W279AC (103.7 FM; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: POSITIVE ALTERNATIVE RADIO, INC.)
- WSNV (93.5 FM; SALEM, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRXT (90.3 FM; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: POSITIVE ALTERNATIVE RADIO, INC.)
- KHPR (88.1 FM; HONOLULU, HI; Owner: HAWAII PUBLIC RADIO)
- WBWR (106.9 FM; BEDFORD, VA; Owner: BEDFORD RADIO PARTNERS, LLC)
- WXCF-FM (103.9 FM; CLIFTON FORGE, VA; Owner: IMPACT BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WYYD (107.9 FM; AMHERST, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WZBB (99.9 FM; STANLEYTOWN, VA; Owner: WNLB RADIO, INC.)
- WIQO-FM (100.9 FM; COVINGTON, VA; Owner: WKEY, INC.)
- WNRS-FM (89.9 FM; SWEET BRIAR, VA; Owner: SWEET BRIAR COLLEGE)
TV broadcast stations around Roanoke:
- W34CU (Channel 34; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: VENTANA TELEVISION, INC.)
- WSET-TV (Channel 13; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: WSET INCORPORATED)
- WJPR (Channel 21; LYNCHBURG, VA; Owner: GRANT BROADCASTING SYSTEMS II, INC.)
- W04AG (Channel 4; GARDEN CITY, ETC., VA; Owner: WDBJ TELEVISION, INC.)
- W49AP (Channel 49; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WBRA-TV (Channel 15; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: BLUE RIDGE PUBLIC TELEVISION, INC.)
- WRKV-LP (Channel 65; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: TIGER EYE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WSLS-TV (Channel 10; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WPXR (Channel 38; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: PAXSON COMMUNICATIONS LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WDBJ (Channel 7; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: WDBJ TELEVISION, INC.)
- WFXR-TV (Channel 27; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: GRANT BROADCASTING SYSTEMS II, INC.)
- W54BT (Channel 54; ROANOKE, ETC., VA; Owner: BIP, INC.)
- W05AA (Channel 5; ROANOKE, VA; Owner: WSET, INC.)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.