Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 14,972. Estimated population in July 2005: 15,996 (+6.8% change)
Males: 7,135 (47.7%), Females: 7,837 (52.3%)
Median resident age: 37.0 years
Median household income: $29,495 (year 2000)
Median house value: $76,500 (year 2000)
Martinsburg, WV residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Martinsburg:
- White Non-Hispanic (82.4%)
- Black (11.6%)
- Hispanic (2.9%)
- Two or more races (2.2%)
- Other race (1.3%)
- American Indian (1.0%)
Ancestries: German (19.2%), United States (13.5%), Irish (11.3%), English (9.9%), Italian (4.0%), French (2.2%).
New! West Virginia forum
Elevation: 457 feet
Land area: 5.0 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Martinsburg
- High school or higher: 74.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.8%
- Unemployed: 6.3%
- Mean travel time to work: 23.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Martinsburg city
- Never married: 26.9%
- Now married: 43.5%
- Separated: 3.3%
- Widowed: 10.3%
- Divorced: 15.9%
3.2% Foreign born (1.7% Latin America, 0.7% Asia, 0.5% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +320 (+2.2%).
Virginia Real Estate - Virginia Real Estate Info Start searching today. Learn more. />
Living - Spot To Find It! It Is All Here. />
& Car Auctions - Seized Cars and Real Estate Auction Listings. Cars From $100. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: MD Frederick, (37.7 miles )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: DC Washington, (75.7 miles pop. 572,059).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (197.5 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: WV (6.8 miles Hedgesville, WV (9.2 miles Inwood, WV (11.3 miles Shepherdstown, of Ranson, WV (13.3 miles Corporation Spring, MD (13.8 miles Clear MD (14.1 miles Williamsport, Town, WV Charles (14.3 miles MD (15.0 miles Sharpsburg,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 102 buildings, average cost: $47,600
- 1998: 55 buildings, average cost: $47,500
- 1999: 63 buildings, average cost: $63,300
- 2000: 57 buildings, average cost: $66,700
- 2001: 33 buildings, average cost: $83,400
- 2002: 36 buildings, average cost: $62,200
- 2003: 58 buildings, average cost: $94,000
- 2004: 79 buildings, average cost: $89,000
Latitude: 39.46 N, Longitude: 77.97 W
Area code: 304
Martinsburg, West Virginia business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (17.7%), Manufacturing (16.4%), Retail trade (14.3%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +4,989 (+33.3%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 2,361 (37.8%)
Crime in Martinsburg (2000):
- 1 murder (6.3 per 100,000)
- 3 rapes (19.0 per 100,000)
- 28 robberies (177.6 per 100,000)
- 84 assaults (532.8 per 100,000)
- 123 burglaries (780.2 per 100,000)
- 632 thefts (4008.6 per 100,000)
- 57 auto thefts (361.5 per 100,000) crime index = 439.8 (higher means more crime, US average = 328.1)
Crime in Martinsburg (2002):
- 0 murders (0.0 per 100,000)
- 1 rape (6.7 per 100,000)
- 23 robberies (154.2 per 100,000)
- 53 assaults (355.3 per 100,000)
- 160 burglaries (1072.5 per 100,000)
- 691 thefts (4632.0 per 100,000)
- 56 auto thefts (375.4 per 100,000) crime index = 408.9 (higher means more crime, US average = 328.4)
Average climate in Martinsburg, West Virginia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Martinsburg-area historical tornado activity is significantly above West Virginia state average. It is 6% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/24/2001, a category 4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 52.0 miles away from the Martinsburg city center injured 2 people and caused $2 million in damages.
On 9/17/2004, a category 2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 6.9 miles away from the city center injured 6 people and caused $30,000 in damages.
Birthplace of: Kevin Pittsnogle - College basketball player (West Virginia Mountaineers).
Hospital/medical center in Martinsburg:
- CITY HOSPITAL (P O BOX 1418 DRY RUN ROAD)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Martinsburg:
- JEFFERSON MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; RANSON, WV)
- MORGAN CTY WAR MEMORIAL (about 20 miles; BERKELEY SPRINGS, WV)
- BROOK LANE PSYCHIATRIC CENTER (about 21 miles; HAGERSTOWN, MD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Martinsburg:
- HAGERSTOWN REGIONAL-RICHARD A HENSON FLD (about 24 miles; HAGERSTOWN, MD; ID: HGR)
- WASHINGTON DULLES INTERNATIONAL (about 51 miles; WASHINGTON, DC; ID: IAD)
- ALTOONA-BLAIR COUNTY (about 62 miles; ALTOONA, PA; ID: AOO)
Other public-use airports nearest to Martinsburg:
- EASTERN WV REGIONAL/SHEPHERD FLD (about 5 miles; MARTINSBURG, WV; ID: MRB)
- POTOMAC AIRPARK (about 20 miles; BERKELEY SPRINGS, WV; ID: W35)
- WINCHESTER REGIONAL (about 26 miles; WINCHESTER, VA; ID: OKV)
MARTINSBURG (229 E. MARTIN ST.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, paid short-term parking, taxi stand, public transit connection.
Colleges/Universities in Martinsburg:
- JAMES RUMSEY TECHNICAL INSTITUTE (Full-time enrollment: 144; Location: RT 6 BOX 268; Public)
- VALLEY COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY (FT enrollment: 89; Location: 2600 AIKENS CTR EDWIN MILLER BLVD.; Private, for-profit; Website: www.vct.edu/index.html)
- INTERNATIONAL BEAUTY SCHOOL 4 (FT enrollment: 36; Location: 329 S QUEEN ST; Private, for-profit; Website: WWW.INTLBEAUTYSCHOOLS.COM)
- JACK KELLEYS NORTHEASTERN COLLEGE OF REAL ESTATE (Location: RT 2 BOX 184T; Private, for-profit)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Martinsburg:
- SHEPHERD COLLEGE (about 11 miles; Shepherdstown, WV; Full-time enrollment: 3,576)
- SHENANDOAH UNIVERSITY (about 24 miles; WINCHESTER, VA; FT enrollment: 2,030)
- FREDERICK COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 37 miles; FREDERICK, MD; FT enrollment: 2,407)
- LORD FAIRFAX COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 37 miles; MIDDLETOWN, VA; FT enrollment: 2,064)
- SHIPPENSBURG UNIVERSITY OF PENNSYLVANIA (about 52 miles; SHIPPENSBURG, PA; FT enrollment: 6,330)
- GETTYSBURG COLLEGE (about 58 miles; GETTYSBURG, PA; FT enrollment: 2,216)
- MONTGOMERY COLLEGE (about 61 miles; ROCKVILLE, MD; FT enrollment: 11,829)
Public high schools in Martinsburg:
- MARTINSBURG SENIOR HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 1,401; Location: 701 S QUEEN ST; Grades: 09 - 12)
- JAMES RUMSEY TECHNICAL INSTITUTE (Location: 3274 HEDGESVILLE ROAD; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high schools in Martinsburg:
- FAITH CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 275; Location: RTE 3 BOX 147F GREENSBURG ROAD; Grades: PK - 12)
- MARTINSBURG CHRISTIAN ACADEMY (Students: 227; Location: ROUTE 2 BOX 144; Grades: PK - 12)
Biggest public primary/middle schools in Martinsburg:
- MARTINSBURG SOUTH MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 721; Location: BULLDOG BOULEVARD; Grades: 06 - 08)
- MARTINSBURG NORTH MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 672; Location: 105 EAST RD; Grades: 06 - 08)
- VALLEY VIEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 580; Location: 140 NADENBOUSCH LANE; Grades: KG - 03)
- BERKELEY HEIGHTS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 572; Location: 726 HACK WILSON WAY; Grades: PK - 03)
- OPEQUON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 486; Location: 310 EAST ROAD; Grades: PK - 03)
- ORCHARD VIEW INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL (Students: 479; Location: 1455 DELMAR ORCHARD ROAD; Grades: 04 - 05)
- EAGLE INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL (Students: 411; Location: 730 EAGLE SCHOOL ROAD; Grades: 04 - 05)
- ROSEMONT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 342; Location: 301 S ALABAMA AVE; Grades: PK - 03)
- TUSCARORA ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 263; Location: 2000 TAVERN RD; Grades: KG - 03)
- WINCHESTER AVENUE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 242; Location: 650 WINCHESTER AVE; Grades: PK - 03)
Private primary/middle schools in Martinsburg:
- ST JOSEPH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 371; Location: 336 S QUEEN ST; Grades: KG - 8)
- ROCKY KNOLL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 63; Location: ROUTE 1 BOX 247 RN; Grades: KG - 8)
Library in Martinsburg:
- MARTINSBURG-BERKELEY CNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $997,794; Location: 101 WEST KING STREET; 150,562 books; 2,430 audio materials; 2,125 video materials; 262 serial subscriptions)
| || |
Notable locations in Martinsburg: Blue Ridge Outlet Center (A), Berkeley County Courthouse (B), Berkeley County Jail (C), Martinsburg-Berkeley County Public Library (D), Martinsburg City Hall (E), Fire Station Number 3 (F), Fire Station Number 4 (G).
Shopping Centers: Nichols Discount City Shopping Center (1), Martinsburg Mall Shopping Center (2), Martinsburg Plaza Shopping Center (3).
Churches in Martinsburg include: Berkeley Place United Methodist Church (A), Bethel Pentecostal Assembly of God Church (B), Martinsburg Seventh Day Adventist Church (C), Second Southern Baptist Church (D), Martinsburg Church of Christ (E), Salvation Army Chapel (F), Saint Lukes Evangelical United Brethren in Christ Church (G), Saint Josephs Roman Catholic Church (H).
Cemeteries: Mount Hope Cemetery (1), Old German Lutheran Reformed Cemetery (2), Old Norbourne Cemetery (3), Green Hill Cemetery (4), Norborne Cemetery (5), Saint Josephs Cemetery (6).
Lake: Thomas, Lake (A).
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Dry Run (A).
Parks in Martinsburg include: Charlotte Prather Park (1), East Martinsburg Historic District (2), Oatesdale Park (3), Boomtown Historic District (4), Prather Park (5), Downtown Martinsburg Historic District (6), Boydville Historic District (7), War Memorial Park (8), South Water Street Historic District (9).
Post office: (A).
Martinsburg compared to West Virginia state average:
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Martinsburg:
- WEPM (1340 AM; 1 kW; MARTINSBURG, WV; Owner: PRETTYMAN BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WRNR (740 AM; 1 kW; MARTINSBURG, WV; Owner: SHENANDOAH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WTRI (1520 AM; daytime; 17 kW; BRUNSWICK, MD; Owner: JMK COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WMRE (1550 AM; 5 kW; CHARLESTOWN, WV; Owner: CLEVELAND RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WMET (1150 AM; 50 kW; GAITHERSBURG, MD; Owner: BELTWAY ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
- WKCW (1420 AM; 50 kW; WARRENTON, VA; Owner: WAY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCBM (680 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: WCBM MARYLAND, INC.)
- WTEM (980 AM; 50 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WTOP (1500 AM; 50 kW; WASHINGTON, DC; Owner: BONNEVILLE HOLDING COMPANY)
- WBAL (1090 AM; 50 kW; BALTIMORE, MD; Owner: HEARST RADIO, INC.)
- WGOP (700 AM; daytime; 25 kW; WALKERSVILLE, MD; Owner: BIRACH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWGB (1030 AM; daytime; 50 kW; INDIAN HEAD, MD; Owner: GOOD BODY MEDIA, LLC)
- WPGC (1580 AM; 50 kW; MORNINGSIDE, MD; Owner: INFINITY WPGC(AM), INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Martinsburg:
- WLTF (97.5 FM; MARTINSBURG, WV; Owner: PRETTYMAN BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WCRH (90.5 FM; WILLIAMSPORT, MD; Owner: CEDAR RIDGE CHILDREN'S HOME & SCHOOL, INC)
- WEEO-FM (103.7 FM; MCCONNELLSBURG, PA; Owner: ALLEGHENY MOUNTAIN NETWORK)
- W228BA (93.5 FM; LEESBURG, VA; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
- WINC-FM (92.5 FM; WINCHESTER, VA; Owner: MID ATLANTIC NETWORK, INC.)
- WTRM (91.3 FM; WINCHESTER, VA; Owner: TIMBER RIDGE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WAYZ-FM (104.7 FM; HAGERSTOWN, MD; Owner: HJV LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WARX (106.9 FM; HAGERSTOWN, MD; Owner: MANNING BROADCASTING INC.)
- WETH (89.1 FM; HAGERSTOWN, MD; Owner: GREATER WASHINGTON EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS ASSN.)
- WFRE (99.9 FM; FREDERICK, MD; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W219BX (91.7 FM; FREDERICK, MD; Owner: CEDAR RIDGE CHILDREN'S HOME & SCHOOL, INC)
- WWVZ (103.9 FM; BRADDOCK HEIGHTS, MD; Owner: BONNEVILLE HOLDING COMPANY)
- WXVA-FM (98.3 FM; CHARLES TOWN, WV; Owner: CLEVELAND RADIO LICENSES, LLC)
- WUSQ-FM (102.5 FM; WINCHESTER, VA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKMZ (95.9 FM; WILLIAMSPORT, MD; Owner: PRETTYMAN BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- W243AF (96.5 FM; FLINT HILL, VA; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
- W219BE (91.7 FM; WAYNESBORO, PA; Owner: MARANATHA BIBLE INSTITUTE, NDBA)
- WDHC (93.5 FM; BERKELEY SPRINGS, WV; Owner: CAPPER BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WSRT (92.1 FM; MERCERSBURG, PA; Owner: M. BELMONT VERSTANDIG, INC.)
- WAFY (103.1 FM; MIDDLETOWN, MD; Owner: FREDERICK BROADCASTING LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Martinsburg:
- WWPX (Channel 60; MARTINSBURG, WV; Owner: PAXSON WASHINGTON-60 LICENSE, INC.)
- WHAG-TV (Channel 25; HAGERSTOWN, MD; Owner: QUORUM OF MARYLAND LICENSE, LLC)
- WWPB (Channel 31; HAGERSTOWN, MD; Owner: MARYLAND PUBLIC BROADCASTING COMMISSION)
- W44AA (Channel 44; MARTINSBURG, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING AUTHORITY)
- W42CK (Channel 42; HAGERSTOWN, MD; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.