Zip Code, Radio Stations, Crime Rate, Population, Weather Forecast, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 7,589. Estimated population in July 2005: 7,312 (-3.7% change)
Males: 3,551 (46.8%), Females: 4,038 (53.2%)
Median resident age: 42.0 years
Median household income: $24,792 (year 2000)
Median house value: $55,700 (year 2000)
Oak Hill, WV residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Oak Hill:
- White Non-Hispanic (92.4%)
- Black (4.8%)
- Two or more races (1.2%)
- American Indian (0.9%)
- Hispanic (0.8%)
Ancestries: United States (18.6%), Irish (13.4%), German (10.5%), English (10.0%), Italian (2.7%), Dutch (2.6%).Hill, West Virginia forum
Land area: 4.8 square miles
For population 25 years and over in Oak Hill
- High school or higher: 69.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.4%
- Unemployed: 8.5%
- Mean travel time to work: 21.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Oak Hill city
- Never married: 19.9%
- Now married: 53.3%
- Separated: 1.9%
- Widowed: 13.3%
- Divorced: 11.7%
0.6% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: +610 (+8.7%).
Melbourne Apartments - City Selection! Short or Long Term, Furnished or Unfurnished. />
Virginia Real Estate - Virginia Real Estate Info Start searching today. Learn more. />
apartments Barcelona - in the city center. From 75 โฌ. Special on line offers />
and apartments - apartments, comfort intimacy down town Bucharest />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: WV Charleston, (42.0 miles )
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: NC Greensboro, (160.1 miles pop. 223,891).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: PA Philadelphia, (435.2 miles pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Thurmond, WV (4.6 miles) , WV Fayetteville, (5.4 miles Hope, WV (6.4 miles Mount WV (8.4 miles Bradley, View, WV (9.2 miles Piney Pax, WV (9.6 miles) , WV (11.0 miles Prosperity, WV (11.0 miles Ansted,
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 12 buildings, average cost: $65,700
- 1998: 5 buildings, average cost: $59,900
- 1999: 6 buildings, average cost: $59,000
- 2000: 3 buildings, average cost: $57,000
- 2001: 11 buildings, average cost: $68,000
- 2002: 3 buildings, average cost: $50,200
- 2003: 6 buildings, average cost: $48,300
- 2004: 7 buildings, average cost: $63,900
Latitude: 37.98 N, Longitude: 81.15 W
Area code: 304
Oak Hill, West Virginia business data: stores, dealers, real estate agents, wholesalers, restaurants...
Industries providing employment: Educational,health and social services (21.6%), Retail trade (17.7%), Arts,entertainment,recreation,accommodation and food services (11.4%).
Daytime population change due to commuting: +794 (+10.5%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 1,151 (43.2%)
Average climate in Oak Hill, West Virginia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Oak Hill-area historical tornado activity is below West Virginia state average. It is 79% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/4/1974, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 15.3 miles away from the Oak Hill city center killed one person and injured 11 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 4/4/1974, a category 3 tornado 19.8 miles away from the city center injured 12 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Hospital/medical center in Oak Hill:
- PLATEAU MEDICAL CENTER (430 MAIN STREET)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Oak Hill:
- BECKLEY APPALACHIAN REGIONAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; BECKLEY, WV)
- RALEIGH GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 14 miles; BECKLEY, WV)
- MONTGOMERY GENL HOSP (about 19 miles; MONTGOMERY, WV)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Oak Hill:
- RALEIGH COUNTY MEMORIAL (about 14 miles; BECKLEY, WV; ID: BKW)
- YEAGER (about 41 miles; CHARLESTON, WV; ID: CRW)
- GREENBRIER VALLEY (about 54 miles; LEWISBURG, WV; ID: LWB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Oak Hill:
- SUMMERSVILLE (about 26 miles; SUMMERSVILLE, WV; ID: SXL)
- KEE FIELD (about 39 miles; PINEVILLE, WV; ID: I16)
- RICHWOOD MUNI (about 39 miles; RICHWOOD, WV; ID: 3I4)
Amtrak stations near Oak Hill:
- 5 miles: THURMOND (C & O DEPOT)
- 11 miles: PRINCE (RTE. 41 NORTH). Services: ticket office, partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service.
- 19 miles: MONTGOMERY (WASHINGTON ST. & 3RD AVE.). Services: public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)
|Function ||Full-time employees ||Monthly full-time payroll ||Average yearly full-time wage ||Part-time employees ||Monthly part-time payroll |
|Streets and Highways ||13 ||$23,920 ||$22,080 ||0 ||$0 |
|Police - Other ||2 ||$3,686 ||$22,116 ||0 ||$0 |
|Police Protection - Officers ||13 ||$25,505 ||$23,543 ||0 ||$0 |
|Other Government Administration ||2 ||$5,462 ||$32,772 ||0 ||$0 |
|Financial Administration ||2 ||$4,160 ||$24,960 ||0 ||$0 |
|Other and Unallocable ||1 ||$1,370 ||$16,440 ||0 ||$0 |
|Parks and Recreation ||1 ||$1,667 ||$20,004 ||0 ||$0 |
|Sewerage ||10 ||$19,997 ||$23,996 ||0 ||$0 |
|Totals for Government ||44 ||$85,768 ||$23,391 ||0 ||$0 |College/University in Oak Hill:
- FAYETTE PLATEAU VOCATIONAL TECHNICAL CENTER (Full-time enrollment: 41; Location: 300 WEST OYLER AVENUE; Public)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Oak Hill:
- WEST VIRGINIA STATE COLLEGE (about 36 miles; INSTITUTE, WV; Full-time enrollment: 3,688)
- CONCORD COLLEGE (about 39 miles; ATHENS, WV; FT enrollment: 2,723)
- BLUEFIELD STATE COLLEGE (about 49 miles; BLUEFIELD, WV; FT enrollment: 2,096)
- NEW RIVER COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 69 miles; DUBLIN, VA; FT enrollment: 2,262)
- RADFORD UNIVERSITY (about 72 miles; RADFORD, VA; FT enrollment: 8,034)
- SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 77 miles; RICHLANDS, VA; FT enrollment: 2,412)
- VIRGINIA POLYTECHNIC INSTITUTE AND STATE UNIV (about 78 miles; BLACKSBURG, VA; FT enrollment: 25,754)
Public high schools in Oak Hill:
- OAK HILL HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 736; Location: 350 WEST OYLER AVENUE; Grades: 09 - 12)
- FAYETTE PLATEAU VO-TECH CENTER (Location: 300 W OYLER AVE; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Oak Hill:
- MOUNTAIN VIEW CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 213; Location: P O BOX 1246 DRAWER B; Grades: PK - 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Oak Hill:
- COLLINS MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 793; Location: 601 JONES AVE; Grades: 05 - 09)
- OAK HILL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 426; Location: 140 SCHOOL ST; Grades: KG - 04)
- ROSEDALE ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 236; Location: SUMMERLEE ROAD; Grades: KG - 04)
- OAK HILL EAST END ELEMENTARY (Students: 161; Location: 103 INGRAM ST; Grades: KG - 04)
Private primary/middle school in Oak Hill:
- STS PETER PAUL SCHOOL (Students: 121; Location: 123 ELMORE STREET; Grades: PK - 8)
Library in Oak Hill:
- FAYETTE COUNTY PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $458,948; Location: 531 SUMMIT STREET; 108,478 books; 1,130 audio materials; 2,606 video materials; 99 serial subscriptions)
Notable locations in Oak Hill: Fayette Square Shooping Center (A), Oak Hill City Hall (B).
Shopping Centers: Fountain Terrace Shopping Center (1), Skyline Shopping Center (2).
Churches in Oak Hill include: Gospel Tabernacle (A), Saint Andrew Episcopal CHurch (B), Calvary Baptist Church (C), Oak Hill United Methodist Church (D), Oak Hill Christian Church (E), Oak Hill Baptist Church (F), Kingdom Hall of Jehovahs Witnesses (G), First Brethren Church (H).
Cemetery: High Lawn Memorial Park (1).
Park in Oak Hill: Collins Park (1).
Post office: (A).
Oak Hill compared to West Virginia state average:
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Oak Hill:
- WOAY (860 AM; 10 kW; OAK HILL, WV; Owner: COMMISSIONED COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJLS (560 AM; 5 kW; BECKLEY, WV; Owner: FIRST MEDIA RADIO, LLC)
- WIWS (1070 AM; daytime; 10 kW; BECKLEY, WV; Owner: SOUTHERN COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WWNR (620 AM; 5 kW; BECKLEY, WV; Owner: DYNASTAR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCAW (680 AM; 10 kW; CHARLESTON, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA RADIO CORPORATION OF CHARLESTON)
- WYKM (1250 AM; 5 kW; RUPERT, WV; Owner: MT. STATE B. CO., INC.)
- WBDY (1190 AM; daytime; 10 kW; BLUEFIELD, VA; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WCHS (580 AM; 5 kW; CHARLESTON, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA RADIO CORPORATION OF CHARLESTON)
- WTRU (830 AM; 50 kW; KERNERSVILLE, NC; Owner: TRUTH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WTVN (610 AM; 50 kW; COLUMBUS, OH; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WMON (1340 AM; 1 kW; MONTGOMERY, WV; Owner: L.M. COMMUNICATIONS OF KENTUCKY, LLC)
- WKNV (890 AM; daytime; 10 kW; FAIRLAWN, VA; Owner: POSITIVE RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WVTS (950 AM; 5 kW; CHARLESTON, WV; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Oak Hill:
- WAXS (94.1 FM; OAK HILL, WV; Owner: PLATEAU BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCIR-FM (103.7 FM; BECKLEY, WV; Owner: SOUTHERN COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WTNJ (105.9 FM; MOUNT HOPE, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WVPB (91.7 FM; BECKLEY, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING AUTHORITY)
- WMTD-FM (102.3 FM; HINTON, WV; Owner: SOUTHERN COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WJLS-FM (99.5 FM; BECKLEY, WV; Owner: FIRST MEDIA RADIO, LLC)
- WDBS (97.1 FM; SUTTON, WV; Owner: SUMMIT MEDIA BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- WKVW (93.3 FM; MONTGOMERY, WV; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- WHAJ (104.5 FM; BLUEFIELD, WV; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WHKX (106.3 FM; BLUEFIELD, VA; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WKOY-FM (100.9 FM; PRINCETON, WV; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WMLJ (90.5 FM; SUMMERSVILLE, WV; Owner: GRACE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WKAZ (107.3 FM; MIAMI, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA RADIO CORPORATION OF CHARLESTON)
- WXAF (90.9 FM; CHARLESTON, WV; Owner: MARANATHA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WRLB (95.3 FM; RAINELLE, WV; Owner: FAITH COMMUNICATIONS NETWORK, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Oak Hill:
- WOAY-TV (Channel 4; OAK HILL, WV; Owner: THOMAS BROADCASTING CO.)
- WSWP-TV (Channel 9; GRANDVIEW, WV; Owner: WEST VIRGINIA EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING AUTHORITY)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.