Zip Code, Weather Forecast, Radio Stations, Population, Crime Rate, Area Codes
<< See who will be the next president.
Population (year 2000): 9,871. Estimated population in July 2005: 11,353 (+15.0% change)
Males: 5,006 (50.7%), Females: 4,865 (49.3%)
Median resident age: 34.9 years
Median household income: $54,392 (year 2000)
Median house value: $137,300 (year 2000)
Salem, WI residents, houses, and apartments details
Races in Salem:
- White Non-Hispanic (95.8%)
- Hispanic (2.5%)
- Other race (0.8%)
- Two or more races (0.7%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
- Black (0.5%)
Ancestries: German (39.4%), Irish (15.8%), Polish (12.2%), English (8.1%), Italian (7.6%), United States (4.6%).
New! Wisconsin forum
For population 25 years and over in Salem
- High school or higher: 85.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.4%
- Unemployed: 4.0%
- Mean travel time to work: 31.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Salem town
- Never married: 23.1%
- Now married: 61.6%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 4.3%
- Divorced: 9.7%
2.3% Foreign born (1.4% Europe, 0.4% North America, 0.3% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +2,764 (+38.9%).
Saint Paul Hotel - to Minnesota's most elegant and historic hotel. />
Free Maps Now - access to maps & directions all the time! Never get lost again. />
MN Home Search - - Search hundreds of homes for sale in Eagan, Minnesota />
Hotels - a Trip with TripAdvisor. Find Hotel Deals, User Reviews & More. />
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: MN Rochester, (42.1 miles pop. 85,806).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Paul, MN St. (56.8 miles pop. 287,151).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: IL Chicago, (374.6 miles pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: WI Salem, (0.0 miles Rock, WI (5.4 miles Maiden City, WI (7.1 miles Bay Paso, WI (10.2 miles El WI (11.3 miles Ellsworth, City, WI Plum (11.4 miles
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1996: 68 buildings, average cost: $130,900
Latitude: 44.62 N, Longitude: 92.36 W
Area code: 262
Industries providing employment: Manufacturing (26.8%), Retail trade (12.7%), Construction (12.0%), Educational,health and social services (11.6%).
Average climate in Salem, Wisconsin
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Salem-area historical tornado activity is near Wisconsin state average. It is 29% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/4/1958, a category 5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 19.2 miles away from the Salem city center killed 21 people and injured 74 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 9/12/1951, a category 3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 19.1 miles away from the city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
height="300" alt="Salem topographic map" width="400" align="right" border="0" />
Hospitals/medical centers near Salem:
- FAIRVIEW RED WING MEDICAL CENTER (about 14 miles; RED WING, MN)
- LAKE CITY MEDICAL CENTER MAYO HEALTH (about 15 miles; LAKE CITY, MN)
- BALDWIN AREA MEDICAL CTR 141 (about 24 miles; BALDWIN, WI)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Salem:
- ROCHESTER INTERNATIONAL (about 51 miles; ROCHESTER, MN; ID: RST)
- MINNEAPOLIS-ST PAUL INTL/WOLD-CHAMBERLAIN/ (about 62 miles; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; ID: MSP)
- CHIPPEWA VALLEY REGIONAL (about 63 miles; EAU CLAIRE, WI; ID: EAU)
Other public-use airports nearest to Salem:
- RED WING RGNL (about 10 miles; RED WING, MN; ID: RGK)
- BOYCEVILLE MUNI (about 37 miles; BOYCEVILLE, WI; ID: 3T3)
- NEW RICHMOND MUNI (about 38 miles; NEW RICHMOND, WI; ID: RNH)
Amtrak station near Salem:
- 14 miles: RED WING (LEVEE RD.). Services: partially wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, call for taxi service, intercity bus service.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Salem:
- UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-RIVER FALLS (about 25 miles; RIVER FALLS, WI; Full-time enrollment: 5,491)
- UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN-STOUT (about 35 miles; MENOMONIE, WI; FT enrollment: 7,183)
- ROCHESTER COMMUNITY AND TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 44 miles; ROCHESTER, MN; FT enrollment: 3,368)
- INVER HILLS COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 50 miles; INVER GROVE HEIGHTS, MN; FT enrollment: 2,475)
- METROPOLITAN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 54 miles; ST PAUL, MN; FT enrollment: 3,171)
- CENTURY COMMUNITY AND TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 56 miles; WHITE BEAR LAKE, MN; FT enrollment: 4,381)
- ST PAUL TECHNICAL COLLEGE (about 57 miles; ST PAUL, MN; FT enrollment: 2,587)
Public high school in Salem:
- CENTRAL HI (Students: 1,207; Location: 24617 75TH ST; Grades: 09 - 12)
Private high school in Salem:
- PADDOCK LAKE BAPTIST ACAD (Students: 63; Location: 24823 74TH ST; Grades: PK - 12)
Public primary/middle school in Salem:
- SALEM EL (Students: 1,130; Location: 8828 ANTIOCH RD; Grades: KG - 08)
Library in Salem:
- COMMUNITY LIBRARY (Operating income: $736,513; Location: 24615 89TH ST.; 59,682 books; 2,833 audio materials; 3,494 video materials; 308 serial subscriptions)
Salem compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Strongest AM radio stations in Salem:
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- WDGY (630 AM; 8 kW; HUDSON, WI; Owner: 630 RADIO, INCORPORATED)
- KSTP (1500 AM; 50 kW; ST. PAUL, MN; Owner: KSTP-AM, LLC (DELAWARE))
- KTIS (900 AM; 25 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WMEQ (880 AM; 10 kW; MENOMONIE, WI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KCUE (1250 AM; 1 kW; RED WING, MN; Owner: SORENSON BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WEBC (560 AM; 50 kW; DULUTH, MN)
- KOLM (1520 AM; 10 kW; ROCHESTER, MN; Owner: OLMSTED COUNTY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WIXK (1590 AM; daytime; 5 kW; NEW RICHMOND, WI; Owner: WIXK-AM, LLC)
- WMGT (1220 AM; 5 kW; STILLWATER, MN; Owner: ENDURANCE BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WXCE (1260 AM; 5 kW; AMERY, WI; Owner: LAKE COUNTRY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Salem:
- KWNG (105.9 FM; RED WING, MN; Owner: SORENSON BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KLCH (94.9 FM; LAKE CITY, MN; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KNXR (97.5 FM; ROCHESTER, MN; Owner: UNITED AUDIO CORPORATION)
- WXPT (104.1 FM; ST. LOUIS PARK, MN; Owner: THE AUDIO HOUSE, INC.)
- KLSE-FM (91.7 FM; ROCHESTER, MN; Owner: MINNESOTA PUBLIC RADIO)
- KMFX-FM (102.5 FM; LAKE CITY, MN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- W211AY (90.1 FM; MENOMONIE, WI; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- WHWC (88.3 FM; MENOMONIE, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- KZSE (90.7 FM; ROCHESTER, MN; Owner: MINNESOTA PUBLIC RADIO)
- WVSS (90.7 FM; MENOMONIE, WI; Owner: BD. OF REGENTS, UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN SYSTEM)
- WDMO (95.9 FM; DURAND, WI; Owner: ZOE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- K297AF (107.3 FM; RED WING, MN; Owner: KRCH OF MINNESOTA, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Salem:
- KXLT-TV (Channel 47; ROCHESTER, MN; Owner: SHOCKLEY BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WHWC-TV (Channel 28; MENOMONIE, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
To understand how the electorate votes by state, you have to understand the demographics of the cities and counties in each of those states. As pollsters, we try to keep all of the important variables such as income, gender, and race consistent.